The HKIER has the vision to realize many ideals of research and development, including:
- Helping the University perform its role better as a leading centre of educational research, as a responsible institution that addresses the needs of the teaching profession, and as an active consultant for international organizations and local education bodies;
- Strengthening the University's ties with local schools and overseas institutions;
- Initiating projects which facilitate educational planning, and informing policymakers and members of the education profession on crucial educational issues;
- Serving as a resource centre for educational researchers, and creating and sustaining a climate in which interdisciplinary research projects can flourish.
- To develop, coordinate and support strategic research having strong policy implications for educational development in Hong Kong and on the Chinese Mainland;
- To establish a data bank to store important data from relevant international and local projects;
- To publish research findings and ideas in various forms, establish a comprehensive collection of research tools and materials, and develop instructional and training materials;
- To organize activities for the academic community and the educational profession;
- To offer programmes for professional development and consultancy services for interested parties;
- To form a network of local and overseas scholars, community leaders, policymakers and teachers to support the HKIER's endeavours.